Personal information provided on the website and online credit card transactions are transmitted through a secure server. We are committed to handling your personal information with high standards of information security. We take appropriate physical, electronic, and administrative steps to maintain the security and accuracy of personally identifiable information we collect, including limiting the number of people who have physical access to our database servers, as well as employing electronic security systems and password protections that guard against unauthorized access.
Our website uses encryption technology, like Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), to protect your personal information during data transport. SSL encrypts ordering information such as your name, address, and credit card number. Our Customer Service department also operates over a private, secure network. Please note that email is not encrypted and is not considered to be a secure means of transmitting credit card information. We will never ask for credit card information via email.
What We Collect
Generally, you may browse the FortheChef.com website without providing any personally identifiable information. However, we may ask you to provide personally identifiable information at various times and places on this website. In some cases, if you choose not to provide us with the requested information, you may not be able to access all parts of this website or participate in all of its features, pricing, and product selection.
We may collect the following information:
- contact information, including email address
- demographic information, such as zip code, preferences, and interests
- other information relevant to customer surveys, offers, and / or newsletters
For the exhaustive list of cookies we collect, please see the List of cookies we collect section. From your purchases and other interactions with us, we obtain information concerning the specific products or services you purchase or use. When you visit this website, our web server automatically collects anonymous information such as log data and IP addresses, and may collect general information concerning your location. We may use the automatically collected information for a number of purposes, such as improving our site design, product assortments, customer service, and special promotions.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We require this information to understand your needs and to provide you with better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping;
- To improve our products and services;
- To periodically send promotional emails about new products, special offers, or other information that we think you may find interesting using the email address that you have provided;
- From time to time, to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you via email, phone, or mail. We may use the information to customize the website according to your interests.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Cookies, Web Beacons, and How We Use Them
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyze web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyze data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
A "web beacon" or "pixel tag" or "clear gif" is typically a one-pixel image, used to pass information from your computer or mobile device to a website.
List of Cookies We Collect
The below lists the cookies we collect and the information they store:
- CART: the association with your shopping cart
- CATEGORY_INFO: allows pages to be displayed more quickly
- COMPARE: the items that you have in the Compare Products list
- CUSTOMER: an encrypted version of your customer ID
- CUSTOMER_AUTH: an indicator if you are signed into the store
- CUSTOMER_INFO: an encrypted version of the customer group you belong to
- CUSTOMER_SEGMENT_IDS: stores your Customer Segment ID
- EXTERNAL_NO_CACHE: a flag that indicates whether caching is on or off
- FRONTEND: your session ID on the server
- GUEST-VIEW: allows guests to edit their orders
- LAST_CATEGORY: the last category you visited
- LAST_PRODUCT: the last product you looked at
- NEWMESSAGE: indicates whether it is allowed to use cache
- PERSISTENT_SHOPPING_CART: a link to information about your cart and viewing history if you have asked the site
- RECENTLYCOMPARED: the items you recently compared
- STF: information on products you emailed to friends
- STORE: the store view or language you have selected
- USER_ALLOWED_SAVE_COOKIE: indicates whether a customer authorized cookies
- VIEWED_PRODUCT_IDS: the products that you recently looked at
- WISHLIST: an encrypted list of products added to your wish list
- WISHLIST_CNT: the number of items on your wish list
Online Account Registration
To make online shopping faster and easier, you may register on the FortheChef website. As a registered customer, you only have to enter your shipping addresses and billing information once; they will be securely stored with us for your future use. Using your name and a password of your choice, you may access your account online at any time to add, delete, or change information. If you are using a public computer, we strongly encourage you to Sign Out when you finish shopping. Your information will still be stored with us but it will not be accessible to anyone else from that computer.
You will receive promotional emails from us only if you have asked to receive them. If you do not want to receive email from Forte Distribution Group or its affiliates you can click on the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any email communication sent by us. Please allow us at least 3 business days from when the request was received to complete the removal, as some of our promotions may already have been in process before you submitted your request.